James F. Kurose, and Keith W. Ross
“Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach”
7th Edition, Pearson, 2020
(Prior versions of this book are also acceptable)
Class Support Notes (eBook)
It is always fun to create your own custom clients and servers for any
protocol of your choice. This eBook covers the essential of socket programming using Python. These notes can be used to support the reference book. If you are an instructor looking for some material to include in your network class, please feel free to use it.
Network Design eBook – version 2 (pdf)
- Introduction to network components.
- Layering of network architecture.
- Analysis of Local Area Network (LAN) concepts and architecture based on IEEE standards.
- Design principles including switching and multiplexing techniques, physical link, signal propagation, synchronization, framing and error control.
- Application of probability and statistics in error detecting and control.
- Ethernet, Token-ring, FDDI (Fiber Distributed Data Interface), ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode), ISDN (Integrated Service Data Networks).
Module 1 – Computer Networks and the Internet
Packet vs Circuit Switching (Quantitative Analysis) (Video)